Monday, June 17, 2019

Four Tips to Name Your Data


My first name is Yasutaka. When you Google my first name, a Japanese musician will pop up whose name is Yasutaka Nakata; he writes songs for perfume and Kyary Pamyu Pamyu. (His music is cool!) Although I hope someone mixes me up with Yasutaka Nakata (someone might think I can compose such cool songs), you don’t want to mix up your files in your laptop by having a confusing name.

File name is important if you want to eliminate a lifetime of searching for a file. I learned several tips from my experience, and I want to share them in this post.
 
by using numbers, folders are ordered automatically.  it saves a lot of time!
(1)    Your data name should start with the date in the form of “20190223.”
First, you may look back to the file in five years after now. Thus, the year is important.
By only using numbers, the files are automatically aligned chronically. This makes it a lot easier to organize your files.
(2)    Pick up one, two, or three most important words for the data, and use them to name the file.
Of course, the file name should not be too long.
(3) Put the close data into the same folder.
(4) An alias (link) is useful.


Good luck on naming data beautifully!